For David and Trinity, the problems arise when we refuse to give them something they feel they need quite desperately: like a paring knife or an electrical cord or, much more benignly, television. We’re trying to keep David and Trinity as television free as possible during these early years (see the previous post regarding the Elmo jones). But David’s new obsession is a DVD of “Good Night, Gorilla” given to him by my parents. It got in to the DVD player on a day that he was home sick with a mystery fever and didn’t feel like doing much more than laying on his “blue bed” in the TV room: a maroon colored comforter folded over twice topped off with a blue pillow. Ever since that day he occasionally runs into the TV room, points at the television and says “Guh.” Every once in a while we break down and oblige him because, like the parents on “Supernanny,” we’re just plain lazy sometimes. We even let him watch Elmo again this week. At one point during the video, he walked right up to the screen, his eyes not two inches away. So, of course, I started to say, “David, get away from the screen. You’re going to ruin your eyes.” But then I noticed that he was actually kissing the screen, or more specifically, Ernie, then Elmo, and then Julia Roberts. I guess he really does love that video. But he’s still going to ruin his eyes.
And I, apparently, am hell bent on ruining my feet. It all started with a temper tantrum that David was throwing at the kitchen table. I’d had enough of him throwing Hot Wheels and food on to the floor and screaming, so I decided to pick him up and put him in the living room. They call this “redirecting.” David was sitting on a heavy oak bench that runs along one side of the kitchen table, and when I went to pick him up he hooked his feet under the seat of the bench. I, of course, being out of patience, decided he was not going to win so easily and just kept lifting. Plus, I knew that if I put him down, he’d go totally boneless and it would be twice as hard to get him out of there. Well, the next thing I remember is the sound of the side of the bench seat hitting the floor (or what I thought was the floor) and then perhaps the worst pain I’ve experienced in my 40 years – and that includes accidentally sticking my finger in the socket of a heating element in the popcorn warmer at the Loma Theatre in San Diego, circa 1986, and winding up ten feet away with my back against the soda dispenser and the remnants of the blue arc flash still in my eyes. Anyhow, the bench had tipped over and came crashing down on my bare right foot. Now, I wish I had been stoic and simply said, “Damn,” through gritted teeth. But the truth is, I screamed, set David down (though I don’t remember actually doing that), hopped to the TV room, laid on the couch, clutching my foot and yelling. I did have the thought at one point during all of this that my foot had better be broken because I’m making an awfully big fuss. Luckily for me there is no doubt whatsoever that two toes are indeed fractured: the big toe and the pinky toe. How the others escaped is up for slow-motion instant replay to reveal. All I know is that the two injured digits turned a shade of purple that almost exactly matched Trinity’s Dora the Explorer chair (without, of course, the faux velvety sheen).
But maybe he’s referring to the clarity of my thinking. Last night, much to Nancy’s dismay and disapproval, I decided to go play softball. Nancy told me that I was plain stupid and that she doesn’t want to hear me complaining about my gnarled feet when I am 80. If I make it 80, I’m sure I’ll have plenty of other things to complain about – just you wait. The good news is that we had more than enough players show up and so I was able to ride the pine for the first few innings. When I did get into the game, I played first base, saw no action whatsoever there and only made one plate appearance. Since I can’t put any real pressure on my right foot, I had to hit from the left side of the plate – something I taught myself to do back in the pre-teen years when my brother Steve and I would hold one-on-one baseball games in our driveway during which we would choose a current team (he was ALWAYS the Red Sox) and bat as each and every player in their current line-up, no matter lefty or righty. I hit a bloop single and then was forced out at second on ground ball to short by the next batter. The upshot is that I was able to look like a stud out there (at least I thought of myself that way: playing with broken toes!) but without really having to do much of anything that might actually cause me any actual discomfort.
But my proud reverie was quickly broken when I came home to find Nancy stressed out and scowling (a rarity for her). It seems that while I was away pretending to “tough it out,” she was home actually enduring one of the great trials of parenthood: multiple toddlers awake and screaming. Before I left for the game, I had put Trinity to bed and left Nancy quietly reading with David before taking him upstairs for the night. One thing you have to know is that David is tough to get to sleep; it requires time and patience, the latter of which Nancy has in spades. She had spent about an hour or so with David and had him just about to nod off when Trin woke up in one of her patented itch-fests that lead to yelling for someone to come pat her back to sleep. Apparently, Trin’s protestations woke David and it got to the point where Nancy was trying to get both of them back to sleep at the same time. By the time I got home (10:00 pm from a 9:00 pm game), Nancy had just gotten Trinity back to sleep. I was pretty sure Nancy was ready to pack her things and leave right then. But, as with most things, a good night sleep made it all seem less horrible than it was at the time. This morning, Nancy told me that at one point during the “events of the evening” she was holding David on her hip and leaning over Trin’s crib, patting her. David took the opportunity to start hugging her and kissing her cheek over and over again. It was good – and a good lesson for me – to see her finding the happy side of a stressful situation. We're learning that there is no formula. What works this week will not work next week. And one kind of behavior blends inevitably into its opposite. One minute you are kissing the television screen and the next you are on the naughty mat.
3 comments:
TV has been the biggest issue for me from the get-go. I kept Molly pretty much away from it when we were in B'ton, but when we moved in to my parents' house my well-meaning mom kept it on Noggin pretty much all the time, and the kid learned to love it. And I learned to lean on it too much.
On the one hand, she's definitely an active viewer, no doubt about it. She makes those programs her own. But she's been asking/insisting on TV more and more, lately, which tells me it's time to set some serious limits. It would be easier if I had more energy to do things with her, but right now energy is at an all-time low. So I'm careful about commercials (the one nice thing about Noggin is it's ostensibly commercial-free, although they sneak some Nickelodeon cartoon commercials in there), about which shows she gets to watch (most kids' programming these days - and, by "kids" I mean preschoolers - isn't too bad overall, although there are shows that are more redeeming than others), and what she's allowed to see of 'regular' TV, which is to say very little.
Backyardigans is a sweet show, although its also a marketing juggernaut and, thus, kind of a problem. Dora is fine and the use of language is creative, but that kid YELLS all the freaking time. Elmo...ah, Elmo.
And it's nice to know we're not the only ones caught in Goodnight Gorilla limbo - we don't have the DVD, but we're big fans of the book.
Hey Jonathan!
I think I need the "naughty mat" at work, LOL!! :P
As long as we're reading to the kids every day (one of the great joys of parenting!) and getting outside and playing every day, I don't worry too much about the kids watching TV. I used to be afraid to admit that Caiman's been watching The Simpsons with us since he was born, but over the years I've lost all shame when it comes to parenting; now I can tell the world that at our house watching The Simpsons is a family affair.
I also love Spongebob and Dexter's Lab, and I'm rather fond of Boots the Monkey. But since Caiman is often in possession of the remote control (when there's not a Giants game on), the most-watched show in our house these days is Mythbusters, and that's so cool. (Have you seen it, Jon?)
**********
Struggling through mid-night wakings can feel like torture, but the payoff is great: immediately (like repeated cheek kisses or the near-divine sight of your finally sleeping child looking like an angel) or down the road, when the memory has had time to mellow and grow mythic. You find yourself bonded to your kid as if you'd shared a foxhole in an earlier life. It's worth it - trust me. (I should point out that with colicky baby Caiman I had the urge more than once to fling him out the window. I was very sleep-deprived, indeed.)
**********
So... it's Tuesday. Softball tonight, right? How are the toes??
Post a Comment