Well, it's almost official.
No, not the adoption; the bureaucracies are continuing to drag their feet on getting two signatures.
What's now official is that we have hit some form of bottom here. Perhaps not ROCK bottom, but at least a shelf of some sort on the way down. The evidence of this decline is that one of our couches is now referred to (at least in the 1 and 2 year-old circles) as "pee-pee couch."
So, how did "pee-pee couch" get its name? About a week ago, Trin and I were in the process of getting her changed from her pajamas to her clothes for the day. We do this in the master bedroom upstairs. Standing naked in front of the bed, Trin said, "pee-pee," a comment that I, in my usual fashion, ignored. She waited a few seconds, and then urinated just a little bit on the floor. I groaned, grabbed some baby wipes and stared to clean up the very small mess. In the meantime, Trin sprinted over to the love seat in our bedroom, crawled up onto the seat cushions, got on her hands and knees, and gave me an impish little look. "What are you looking at?" I said. No answer. And then it hit me. Oh no! Before I could do anything, I saw the liquid begin to spread out from under her, pooling up around the indentations made by her hands and knees. I grabbed her as quickly as I could, whisked her to the bathroom, cleaned the urine off her (and me) and then returned to the couch. It was too late (it was too late immediately, I suppose) -- the cushion underneath the slip cover was soaked. There's nothing much more to be done, beyond cleaning the cushion and cover as best we can, getting a new slip cover (I ripped it irreparably in my haste to remove it), and then doing the unspeakable: turning the cushion over and pretending like it never happened.
And, of course, no matter how well we clean it, the couch will always be known forever more as "pee-pee couch": a none-too-subtle reminder that something sordid is always lurking just below the shiny happy surfaces in the Nichols-Pethick household.
3 comments:
Have you discovered the wonders of Febreze? Actually, I think it's stinkier than most odors you want to get rid of, but it dissipates shortly and actually kind of works.
If it makes you feel any better, we have had kid or cat pee on the following surfaces in our house: couch, linoleum floor, hardwood floor, carpet, bath mat, our bed, kai's bed, taavi's bed. And in the tub, of course. We have Pee-Pee House!
Shoot! Did I just blow any chance we had of getting you guys to visit us???
On the ?plus? side, if she's equating sitting anywhere and peeing, maybe she's starting to think in the general direction of the potty? Which would be more than we do around here; we're rapidly approaching 2.5 with little sign of potty training in sight. It's my fault, really, because I've pretty much let it slide in all the pregnancy blahness, but one of these days it's going to have to happen.
I think all of us can relate to pee-pee anything in the house. We even had barf carpet several months ago, and, as Beth says, Febreze worked wonders.
Hey Jon, it could be worse. In an effort to save our pristine, brand-new-house carpet, I once caught a steaming hot turd as it dropped out of your undiapered niece's rear end. Ugh!
At least it wasn't barf. That was always Chris's job. A job which earned him, by the way, the following monikers: Baron of Barf, Duke of Puke, Chairman of Chunks, and Earl of Hurl.
At least we can still laugh about these things, right? RIGHT?!?
Yer ever lovin' sis-in-law, Sue.
Post a Comment