
Spring means birds. Trinity stepped outside with Nancy yesterday morning to get the paper and was treated to the sounds of robins and starlings and cardinals and sparrows. Our normally wiggly girl sat perfectly still, listening. Nancy asked her if she liked the birds' singing. "Yeah," she whispered. This bodes well for Trinity who has a grandmother in Maine who says things like "I heard a Veery in the woods today."

Spring means riding bikes. We took Dave and Trin out for a spin around the neighborhood last Saturday and had our picture snapped by a photographer from the newspaper. And there we were on Monday morning: the kids looking sporty, and me looking like I weigh about 300 pounds. They say the camera adds about 10 pounds, but this is ridiculous. Dave is a monster on his bike. He's 100% mobile now, except when her veers off the sidewalk and into the mud; then he's 100% helpless. Trin can't push the pedals of her bike hard enough to get going and so she must be pushed. This wouldn't be so bad, if she would steer. She CAN steer but chooses not to. She's a gazer like my great aunt Helen who, legend has it, was so fond of looking in people's windows as she drove by that she was always in danger of driving off the road.
Spring means birthday parties. Both David and Trinity celebrated birthdays this month: David turned 3 on the 24th; Trinity turned 2 on the 14th. We've been eating cupcakes ever since. The cupcake recipe that Nancy used comes from Amy Sedaris. You can find the recipe here:
http://www.amysedarisrocks.com/recipes.htm#amy
David's birthday was almost solely a Thomas the Tank Engine affair. He got new tracks and lots of new trains and t-shirts, and conductor's overalls, and a hat. Trinity's was a little more varied, since
Spring means baseball and softball. While the real athletes report to camp and negotiate unfathomable salaries, increasingly soft-in-the-middle used-to-bes like me struggle into our cleats for another season of slow-pitch home-run derby, complete with lumbering.
And, of course, Spring means Summer is coming, which means more time to spend doing the things that Spring always promises, such as...
4 comments:
Hi Jonathan,
YEAH, Spring is here! Correction, Spring is alive and well in Indiana. Spokane on the other hand---not so much. It's currently snowing as I type. I am not a shiny, happy person right now, but it's nice to see others donning sweatshirts and enjoying the sunshine. For now, I'll live vicariously through you.
I really liked the newspaper clipping/photo. Couldn't paint a happier family outing (and you look just dandy).
How great is it that David sings songs especially for his Peanut girl. All kids should be so happy, and every dog deserves a song.
Thanks for the Zippity-doo-daw bus ride. Fun as that was, now I can't get that catchy tune out of my head, or the fact that I'm glad I never had to wear the bouffant, or bullet bras. That gal is surprisingly chipper.
Glad to see you made it home safe and are feeling better. Enjoy your spring, and the songbirds.
Beth lane
The day you look like you weigh 300 lbs...
The pictures are great, and it's so nice to see how happy the kids look. They're really beautiful.
My parents gave Molly a dollhouse for Christmas, and everyone else outfitted it with furniture, etc. She likes to take the people and furniture, relocate them to the living room table, and create little tableaux of our home life - mostly involving the television.
You are so right -- spring DOES mean baseball (& softball)! I knew it was spring when I was leaning against Hugh's convertible at Al's Big Burger, listening to one of the Giants last spring training games (we have the BEST announcers; their voices alone and I can smell the field) and watching Eli and Taavi laugh at each others' thick milkshake mustaches at the table across the parking lot. And then there was opening day (BAD day for the Giants in -- UGH! -- LA), and now the first televised game in what seems like forever. I love 'em no matter how they do! Ah, sweet heartache! Meanwhile, Eli's Little League season is in swing, and our firt softball game was tonight.
Great pictures, by the way!! Way to make the paper! : )
xo,
b
Post a Comment