Saturday, October 11, 2008

Train in the Distance

The sound of a marching band blasts through the mid-morning air, bouncing off the neighbors’ garages. An insistent train whistle sounds its required alarm in the near distance. A beat up, muffler-less, sub-compact barely slows and then belches through the intersection, ignoring the stop signs. Peanut click-click-clicks across the kitchen floor, turning in agitated little circles, whining for a walk.

Meanwhile, David an Trinity are on each other’s nerves, snipping and sniping at each other in a register that makes Sarah Palin sound like Greta Garbo.

Eddie finds his way into my office and begins digging at a cardboard box seemingly without any intention of finally settling in. It’s all about the clawing.

I can’t hear birds for the voice inside my head that keeps listing all the things that need to get done: yardwork, laundry, shopping, grading, reports, proposals…

And so I go outside and start to pull the weeds that have taken over our driveway. The marching bands continue in the background, but the satisfying “rip” and “pop” of roots giving way joins in and suddenly I feel a little better.

Not everybody loves a sound of the train in the distance. Sometimes where you are right now, as maddening as it can be, it right where you need to be.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Jonathan!

Lately I have been restless. There is no Fall in San Diego. Oh, people will tell you there is and, granted, the light is different and the trees in our driveway are shedding their leaves, but I love the midwest in the autumn. I feel restless and my Michigan roots are calling me. Sometimes I dream about living somewhere else (maybe all those years in the military have left me with a need to move on occasionally) but then something reminds me that right where I am is where I need to be.

Thanks again Jonathan.

Mom

Beth said...

YES! How right you are -- this is indeed a post that hits home right now. Thanks, Jonathan!

(Ooh, and the call of fall hits home, too, Mrs. P. For me it's a long ago New England fall.)

...I sure do love it when you post. Especially when kid pics are included!